A new parliamentary report explores how the pandemic has impacted the sport and activity sector in England.
Sport and exercise are important elements of many people’s lives. Multiple lockdowns resulted in much of the sport and activity sector coming to a halt. After each successive lockdown, sport has been one of the first things to return. Yet, activity levels for 2020 fell below the figures for the previous year among adults, young people and children.
Sport and activity organisations have faced unprecedented challenges.
A new government report explores some of the challenges faced by the sport and activity sector over the past eighteen months. The report focuses on what needs to be done to sustain, support and grow community and grassroots sport as we emerge from the pandemic.
The report explores:
- Inequalities in sport and activity participation between demographics.
- The impact of the pandemic on volunteers, who are crucial to the continuation of the sport sector.
- The financial challenges and financial support offered to sport and activity organisations.
- The impact of the pandemic on National Governing Bodies (NGBs).
- What measures are currently in place to address the lack of equality and diversity at senior levels of sport governance.