Nicola chats with Denise Richards from The CPSU following an online conference focused on creating safer cultures in sport and activity.
The conference took place over two mornings on 19 and 20 January 2022.
From Learning Lessons to Taking Action, the conference challenged attendees to create a safer place for all children and adults in your organisation, whatever their role.
The conference explored:
- How you ensure that your organisation is operating a safer culture for participants of all ages, abilities, race, cultures, sexuality, sex, and gender
- Protecting and safeguarding the wellbeing of those taking part
- How you ensure that everyone feels able to share any concerns at an early stage
- How you ensure that everyone feels confident to interrupt or question poor practice or behaviour.
The keynote presentations and workshops addressed:
- The learning from recent reviews about safeguarding and welfare concerns in sport and other settings
- New strategies from government and sports councils
- Initiatives to embed best practice in safeguarding
- The response to the voices of those with lived experience within sport and physical activity
- How we can develop safer cultures in our organisations
In this podcast, Nicola and Denise reflect on the conference’s themes. They also discuss some of the key messages from the presentations and workshops.
In the original version of this podcast (released on 25 January 2022) we referred to allegations of safeguarding concerns within a charity, in reference to a video clip of Alan Yentob. The charity we named in the original version of our podcast was not the charity that was referred to at the conference and about which allegations were made, we apologise for our mistake. We have re-edited the podcast to address this inaccurate reference.