Good governance helps organisations work effectively. It helps them meet the needs of their people and be sustainable.
Governance refers to the way an organisation is run and makes decisions. It can include:
- The organisation’s systems, processes, policies, controls and authorities.
- How the people that lead the organisation are held to account about the direction they set and the decisions they make.
A Guide to Good Governance
Sport England Club Matters produced a guide to good governance.
The guide includes:
- What is governance, and how can we make it “good”?
- Who is responsible for governance?
- What sort of benefits can good governance bring?
The guide then explores five key principles to help organisations achieve good governance:
- Standards and conduct.
- Policies and procedures.