Debt and Managing your Money

Help with budgeting

Check what benefits you’re entitled to

Other websites that can help you manage your debt

Support with Housing Concerns

Have a look at the government’s ‘Help for households’ information about housing and the cost-of-living crisis. If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland there may be different or additional help available:

If you are a tenant finding it hard to pay your rent, see MoneyHelper’s guide on handling rent problems.

Know your rights as a homeowner or tenant

Problems with housing or homelessness

Worried about energy costs

Support with Work or Unemployment

For information about your rights at work, check the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

If you are unemployed

Support with Concerns about Affording Food

If you are having problems buying food essentials:

If you are Worried about your Mental Health 

Mental Health & Money Advice:

The Samaritans

The Samaritans offer emotional support 24 hours a day – in full confidence.

Call 116 123 – it’s FREE.

Or email

Shout Crisis Text Line

For support in a crisis, Text Shout to 85258.

If you’re experiencing a personal crisis, are unable to cope and need support.

Shout can help with urgent issues such as:

  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Abuse or assault
  • Self-harm
  • Bullying
  • Relationship challenges

Rethink Mental Illness

You can call the Rethink advice and information line Monday to Friday, 10am to 2pm for practical advice on:

  • different types of therapy and medication
  • benefits, debt, money issues
  • police, courts, prison
  • your rights under the Mental Health Act.

Call Rethink on 0300 5000 927 (calls are charged at your local rate).


Mind’s services

  • Mind’s helplines provide information and support by phone and email.
  • Local Minds offer face-to-face services across England and Wales. These services include talking therapies, peer support and advocacy.
  • Side by Side is our supportive online community for anyone experiencing a mental health problem.

The Mind infoline

Mind offer an information line to answer questions about:

  • types of mental health problem
  • where to get help
  • drug and alternative treatments

Call the Mind infoline on 0300 123 3393 (UK landline calls are charged at local rates, and charges from mobile phones will vary considerably). Or email

The Mind Legal Advice service

If you need legal advice, you can speak to Mind about:

  • mental health
  • mental capacity
  • community care
  • human rights and discrimination/equality related to mental health issues.

Call the Mind Legal Advice service on 0300 466 6463 (UK landline calls are charged at local rates, and charges from mobile phones will vary considerably). Or email

CALM Helpline and Webchat

The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is leading a movement against suicide.

You can talk to CALM about anything.

Call the CALM helpline on 0800 58 58 58 or use their webchat here.

The helpline and webchat are both open 5pm to midnight, 365 days a year.

Other Sources of Support

Tell someone you trust

You may find it helpful to talk to your partner, a relative or a friend about your problems. They may be concerned about you and welcome the opportunity to hear what you have to say. If this is not possible, you may prefer to talk to someone else you can trust, like a faith leader or a tutor.

Talk to your GP

Your GP may be the first person you talk to about your mental health problems. If you have a good relationship with your doctor, you may find it helpful just to know there is someone you can talk to about the feelings you are having. Your GP may refer you to specialist services if he/she feels they will help you

If you are unhappy with your own doctor, you can ask to see another doctor at the same practice or make an appointment with a different practice in your area. If you are unsure where to find other doctor’s surgeries, look in your local Yellow Pages or try the NHS Choices website.

Find a warm hub.

In response to the crisis, ‘ warm hubs’ or spaces have been set up across local areas to provide a warm place for people to go.

Speak to your local Healthwatch. 

Need advice and information about health and care services, or what support is available from your local council? Contact local Healthwatch 

Book a course or find out more

To book a course or find out more about how we can help you, get in touch today.