This open training is for anyone working with young people and those in transition.
This one day open training course will look at good practice working with young people and young adults facing risks of sexual exploitation.
Date: 17th May 2019
Time: 9:30am to 4.30pm
Price: £99 per person
We have space for 16 delegates. Lunch will be provided.
What Will the Course Cover?
This one day course will be an interactive training day to explore good practice including discussion and research-informed input about:
- Young peoples’ needs and safety in terms of friendships and relationships.
- Understanding sexual abuse, sexual exploitation and criminal exploitation, violence in relationships, and how we might pick this up.
- How young people with learning needs learn about safety, friendships and relationships, choice, consent and what they need from those who work with them.
- Impact of learning needs on how young people might make sense of relationships.
- How carers and professionals feel about addressing these topics.
- Impact of transition on young people.
- Factors which limit choice and ability to give informed consent; being pushed around, coercion, lack of choice and voice.
- Forms of exploitation and recognition of signs and indicators that a young person may not be safe and happy in relationships.
- Good practice learning from ACT research, ‘Unprotected Overprotected’ (Franklin, Smeaton and Raws 2015); the first national study looking at young people with learning disabilities and sexual exploitation.
- The recent Newcastle Serious Case Review (February 2018) involving young adults with learning disabilities who experienced sexual exploitation.
- Learning about good practice from It Doesn’t Stop at 18 NWG report (2018).
- Review and our practice.
Book Your Place
To book your place at this event please fill in the form below.
Please note – we only have room for 16 delegates. Book now to avoid disappointment!
We will invoice you for payment once we have confirmed your booking.
Please Note: We may charge the full fee for cancellations within one week of the event. If you cannot make it, you are more than welcome to send an alternative delegate in your place.